For the grown up version of Novena Prayer Day One click here.
Who’s the oldest person you know? It might be one of your grandparents, a neighbour or one of the helpers from school.
Today’s prayer action is making gingerbread biscuits.
Follow the recipe below to make some biscuits to represent the older people you know.
If you have people shaped cutters use these or you could just make a circle for the face.
When the biscuits are cooked, decorate them so that they look like the person or people you want to pray for.
While you are decorating, think about the older people you know. Talk to God about them, tell him what you like about these people and let him know if you have any worries about them. Ask God to be with the older people you know.
You could give them the biscuit you have made to help them remember that God loves them.
What you need:
350g plain flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
175g soft light brown sugar
4 tbsp golden syrup
What you do:
1. Wash your hands.
2. Preheat the oven to 190C (gas mark 5).
3. Carefully weigh out all of your ingredients.
4. Sieve the flour, ginger and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl. Stir it together with a wooden spoon.
5. Cut the butter into cubes and add it to the flour mix.
6. Use your fingers to rub the flour mix and butter together.
7. Now sprinkle the sugar over you mixture.
8. Next pour in the syrup and egg. Use a wooden spoon to stir everything together to make a firm dough.
9. Sprinkle some flour onto your workbench and rolling pin.
10. Roll your dough until it is about half a centimetre thick.
11. Cut your dough into shapes. Use people shaped cutters or circles to make faces with.
12. Get a piece of kitchen roll and put a little bit of margarine or butter on it. Then spead the margarine or butter onto a baking tray.
13. Put your gingerbread people onto the baking tray. If you have space in your fridge you could pop the baking tray in for about 15 minutes. This will help the dough to set so it won’t lose its shape when it is cooking.
14. Bake your biscuits for 10-15 minutes, until they are golden brown.
15. Once the biscuits are cool, decorate them while you talk to God about the older people you know.
Let us know who you prayed for, and how your biscuits turned out. Go to Add a Comment at the bottom of this page to send us pictures of your gingerbread people.